Friday, May 6, 2011

Folsom Powerhouse


I have a soft spot for historic buildings and places. This power plant in Folsom was one of the first hydroelectric plants in the state. From the California Parks website:

"On July 13, 1895, with only two generators in actual operation, electricity was successfully transmitted over uninsulated copper wires the full 22 miles to Sacramento. Newspapers in Sacramento and San Francisco covered this event in detail on their front pages the next day. Sacramento celebrated this technological breakthrough with a "Grand Electric Carnival" on September 9, 1895, stringing electric lights along its downtown streets, and decorating the State Capitol with thousands of bulbs."

I wish I could have seen that.

Folsom Powerhouse
oil on canvas
6 x 6"
painted edges, suitable for immediate hanging
lightly varnished + signed
available here soon

Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I would love to see what you can do with some of the old buildings in Old Folsom too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope to paint more buildings soon. Slowly building my confidence!

    ReplyDelete