Friday, January 28, 2011

Country Road


Finished! I am very happy with the way this one turned out. Whew. It encourages me to paint larger pieces more often. I like to paint all at once and only come back to a painting to add a few details here and there. No layering or glazing. Here, that meant bringing out some big brushes and working quickly. Luckily, the elements the customer ordered were things I love to paint. She wanted something to remember Davis by when she returns to Japan. I hope I give that to her.

In response to a comment yesterday (hi Lisa!) I wanted to share a few words about custom pieces. Up until last Fall, I just didn't do them. The stress of somehow conveying an emotional connection to something or someplace that wasn't MY connection was just too hard. I now do them on a case-by-case basis with lots of communication beforehand, especially for landscapes. Shoes, of course, are always welcome. I choose to not "repaint" pieces I've already done. The convergence of mood, strokes, and colors happens once. It can't be recreated easily. Pumping out the same painting isn't what I'm interested in. (Although getting paid for it is always tempting..but that's another blog post in itself!) The uniqueness, the moment--that's what I love about art. With every painting I've sold, I remember where I was and how I felt when I painted it. For me it's a serendipitous, shooting star kind of moment. The moment passes, but the art remains--whether it's a little shoe, a branch, or a sunset. To be able to share that moment with others is what makes it truly fantastic.

Country Road
(custom order)
oil on canvas
16 x 20"
lightly varnished + signed


2 comments:

  1. oh, just gorgeous! Glad I popped in and now am basking in the glow of your beautiful new paintings!

    hello hello from across town!

    -nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello hello to you, too! Hope to see you at Indie Davis in March (if not sooner!)?

    ReplyDelete